This is the start of a very fun adventure for me this year. I have always loved baking quick bread and sweet treats but wanted to learn how to make dough and bread, for the very simple reason, I hate buying junk and love to know what I am eating.
My husband and I typically have pizza and wine on Friday nights, but it was always take-out or one of those quick pre-made pizza doughs you can grab from any grocery store. I had become pretty good at making the pre-made dough taste homemade by the use of toppings and seasonings, but I was just over not knowing what was actually in the dough, thus began my hunt and learning experience on making pizza dough.
I have to say it turned out amazing and since the recipe makes two, I threw one in the freezer and fingers crossed it thaws out and tastes delicious next week.
Side note – my mother in law swears she does it all the time, and she knows her way around a kitchen, so I believe my thawed dough will be perfect!
- Prep Time: 25m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Total Time: 45m
- Yield: 2 pizza doughs
- Category: Recipes From Our Kitchen
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (optional for pan)
- Mix warm water and yeast gently, let sit for 5 minutes to allow yeast to activate
- Add half of the flour to the proofed yeast and mix well. You can use a KitchenAid with a dough hook, or a simple bowl and wooden spoon are all I use.
- Add remaining flour and salt to the bowl, knead until smooth. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes to an hour (depending on the time you have).
- Remove dough from bowl to a well-floured surface and separate into two individual dough balls.
- At this point you can use both dough balls or freeze one for a later date, which is what I did.
- Roll your dough out to your desired thickness on a piece of parchment paper. Preheat your oven and pizza stone to 400 F.
- Now the fun part, top your pizza with any and all of your favorite toppings and bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until done to your liking.